Saturday, December 12, 2020

Jane Denson, 12/10

        Last class' discussion of Appadurai's global cultural flow of technoscapes got me thinking about the growing phenomenon of virtual reality, again going back to Poster, becoming more socially engaged in and universally accepted as part of the norm. This year alone has proved to portray Appadurai's theoretical insights in a new light, which alludes to the idea that we are in the midst of a technological explosion. So much has changed since the 1990s and 2000s regarding how quickly we send and receive information via devices (e.g. cellphones, computers, etc.) that it is safe to say that technology is fundamentally integrated into our daily lives. There really is no escaping it, we simply must recognize that it will likely hold a permanent place in society as a cultural necessity. Furthermore, our dialogue in class about this matter, as well as the notion that the flow of the global economy drives where the tech goes, helped me realize the disparity between different countries and their ability to access and/or observe the utilization of technology. For example, in my Spanish class, we learned about how indigenous people in the Amazon region were not exposed to technology like the United States was. It allowed me to understand divergent perspectives and the central idea that certain areas of the world are more digitally connected, while others are more in touch with their environmental surroundings. With the destruction of the Amazon Rainforest, you would think that countries like the United States would use their economic resources wisely and attempt to create a substantial change there, but it seems like the avarice of the U.S. continues to prevent any significantly positive changes from manifesting, since a great deal of money goes towards things of lesser importance. Perhaps now that we are experiencing a pandemic, countries like ours will rethink their social and economic paradigms for the better.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your commentary on this subject, Jane Denson. We are truly submerged in technology today. Just this morning, I wanted to take a break from technology and took a walk on the bridge. Ironically, I caught myself using three different types of Apple devices on the walk. I put on a podcast with my iPhone, listened to it on my AirPods, and tracked how many miles I walked with my Apple Watch. I was pretty embarrassed to realize that my “technology break” this morning was far from a break -- it is so easy today to be engulfed in technology! The majority of members in our society have access to technology at their fingertips. Your blog post made me think about the two major points that arise from this statement.

    First, with technology at our disposal, our attention span dramatically plummets. In regard to my walk today, rather than listening to the wind and birds over the bridge, I was so distracted by what was playing in my AirPods that I was hardly there in the present moment. Not to mention, every time I got a text, my watch AND phone would vibrate … even my AirPods read the message to me. I am a major advocate for mindfulness and try to practice it daily, however, when I am quite literally surrounded by technology, it is impossible to stay present. This is a simple example, but technology does impact society’s overall lack of mindfulness and limited attention span. Like ideology, we are surrounded by it and cannot escape it, but we can acknowledge it and challenge it. Technology will not disappear, but we can note its impact and actively find ways to be present.

    The second point that arose from my initial statement is focused on the word “majority.” While many of us are consumed by technology, there are still people who do not have access to it like you mentioned in your post. I loved your last sentence: “Perhaps now that we are experiencing a pandemic, countries like ours will rethink their social and economic paradigms for the better.” I completely agree, I think if anything, this Pandemic has taught us to not take anything for granted. 2020 in general has exposed our privilege whether it be with healthcare, access to the Internet, a stable job, or our race. I am hopeful that this year will encourage people to appreciate what they have and find ways to advocate for a more just and fair society.
    - Evie

    ReplyDelete